As i sit in front of the gym waiting for them to open this morning, I am starting today's blog. It will be a busy day and this is the best way to do a brain drain prior to actually starting things.
Need to verify we have the right ball on the hitch as we tow a few different trailers. Check the lights and make sure they are working properly. Run over the tie downs and load straps making sure they are secured and tight. Throw a couple extra ropes on the mast just to make sure it doesn't go anyplace. Make sure we have gas and oil in the back of the truck, a case of bottled water, and tools.
In looking at the boat the other day I noticed the boat was not all the way forward to the stop by the winch. Nothing I can do about this at this point, she must have slide back an inch or so on the trip home. We'll just make sure we have her secured pretty good.
It may be a challenge to find a home for her at the boat yard as it was still packed with boats last week with very little available room. If there are people working on their boats, the little space available will be used for parked cars. We have to get there early to beat this possibility. Then take off the tie downs, remove the ropes, get the boom out of the cabin, and make sure they have everything they need out and ready to raise the mast with the hoist on top of the building. Then she can be placed on her mooring which is about 100 yards off the KYC dock.
Over the next couple weeks as I come down to take her out, I will bring more of the summer supplies down. Things like the fishing tackle, snorkel or dive gear, portable radio, DVD player, cooler, change of clothes, and whatever else I remember.
It is now time to pick up Blue and start this mornings adventure. First thing is to hook up the trailer to the truck and inspect everything TWICE. I back up to the hitch and make sure we have the right size ball and plug in the wiring. No tail lights! Time to now see where the problem is. I pull out the back up wire from the back of the truck and change to a new trailer wire hookup. Ahhhh, some lights are working. Time to check bulbs. Another 5 minutes and all seems fine with the lights. Time to jump in and take our time towing the boat to the bay. No rush!
The ride is uneventful. Thank goodness. We pull in and look for a place to park the boat. Blue gets out and helps with directions as I try backing her in and getting her in a safe spot. Sometimes leaving her in the way makes them put you in right away. Hmmmm, should we? I back her in and then take a walk to the office to confirm she is fine where she is and John tells me that is fine.
I have Blue grab a nearby ladder and I climb on board to remove all the lines I have holding the mast in place. Blue removes the tie downs and load straps. I go into the cabin and bring out stage boom which I leave in the cockpit along with a baggy of Clevis pins and round cotter pins I case they need an extra. Next we get the rudder attached to the back and are pretty much done at this point. We undo the hitch and I move the truck up a little to we can load the truck with items taken off the boat. I then walk around the boat and take my annual pictures of boat as dropped off. This is a good practice to get into!
Instead of leaving we take a walk down to the ramp and notice there are now about 20 boats in the mooring field and KYC dock is finished and the launch is an horde right off the dock. This means the mooring field will begin to fill over the next week or so. I take a few pictures out into the harbor and we return to the truck and boat. Blue puts a cinder block under the front of the trailer so we don't have to reply on the crackdown wheel. I go the fridge in the back of the truck and pull out a couple nice cold waters for Blue and I. We head on back and detour along the Keyport water front which is very active. We notice that Pedersen's has put in a bunch of new docks on the old pilings and still adding more.
Another successful beginning to another season. We head home.
First thing to due is turn her over and cut some holes in the front face of the bench seat so I can use bolts and not self tapping screws. This will also allow me to back it with an aluminum plate to add strength. When done I can fill with foam.
This method will allow me to turn the boat upside down when I get her up to the spot I store her in the boat yard.
Today we have to finish up the dinghy.
blue and I turned her over and I cut a hole in the face of the bench seat large enough to get my arm I side with a wrench. I figured out where I wanted the wheels to be ans marked the transom. The bolts you get with the wheel kit are not long enough to make an easy installation. I used a drill the next size smaller than what the bolt would require and screwed the bolts into the transom. After screwing a bolt into each hole I removed the bolts and pumped silicon into the holes. With the kit they give you o-rings and washers to help seal out any water. Being I had no room for washers or o-rings, placed a glob of silicone on each hole. I placed the wheels on and screwed in the bolts which tighter right up. I then went inside and put the self locking nuts on each bolt. I was really surprised how much silicone came through each hole. After all the nuts were tighter I ran a bead of silicone around each wheel plate to give some added protection from leaking.
Later on after the silicon had dried, I put a coat of paint on the transom. And other fiberglass work I had done. The dinghy is now ready and rolls along perfectly. Just the way I planned.
We will bring the dinghy down next week in hopes there is some room. Today the place was still a zoo with absolutely no place to store the dinghy. Maybe with high tide during the mid-day time this week they will get more boats in the water and giving us some room for the dinghy.